Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Spoon

Crazy title for a post I suppose.  Intriguing I hope, which compels you to keep reading, or not.

This is not a post about dieting.

It is not a post with a yummy delicious recipe.


It’s not even a post about silverware per se.

It actually refers to the title of the book, Spoon, by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.


My absolute favorite type of book is a children's picture book. There is a lot of good quality literature in a picture book.  Not all children’s books are of the same caliber.  Browse the classics and you’ll see the ones that have remained best sellers for many years.  They often have a moral quality which we can strive for regardless of our age. The illustrations are marvelous.  They have value.  They “feel good”.   

I went to Barnes & Noble Saturday to browse the children's book section. I did go for a specific reason. No, I wasn't shopping for a specific book but instead I was looking to see what types of books are currently on the market. The classics were still among the bestsellers.   There were many new books that I hadn’t heard of. 

I picked up the book Spoon. Then set it back down. Walked over to another section of the store and there it was again.  I still didn’t pick it up.  Looked some more.  But then I picked it up again. Sitting in one of the chairs in B&N, I read several of the books I had selected.

Spoon is the story of a spoon (duh!) who is envious of the knife and fork and chopsticks, who seem to be living a much more interesting life than Spoon.  I mean really fork goes everywhere and knife is always in the danger zone and don’t even think about chopsticks.  But Spoon, ah, what a life you live, who else gets to dive into ice cream, or a bowl of cereal, or measure ingredients or stir the mix. 

True confession – I bought the book.  Yes I do know how old I am.  And I must admit when the sales clerk asked me if I wanted a gift receipt, I said, “Yes.”  She didn’t ask me if it was a gift, she just asked me if I wanted a gift receipt.  I mean really, how many 52 year olds are buying a picture book for themselves.  But it’s a lesson I know I need to be reminded of often.

You see, just like Spoon, I too fall into that trap of comparison, wondering how much easier life would be if only…..    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment