I was thinking today about
shoes. I’m sure you must be asking, “Why.” Ok, probably not. But I’ll tell you anyway. I was thinking not necessarily about a
particular pair of shoes but more the quote
I wholeheartedly agree with that.
We don’t know what someone else may be going through or how hard or
challenging it is to put their shoes on each morning. Or what a relief it is to get those shoes off
at the end of a long day. Or what a joy
it is to put their dancing shoes on and dance the night away. Or whether they throw on the first pair they
see in the closet. Or whether the soles
of their shoes are worn to a frazzle and new shoes aren’t in the budget.
These thoughts originated from a conversation earlier today, where
someone said unless I was in their shoes I wouldn’t understand. I agree I don’t understand.
With that being said I need to be grateful for my own shoes. Sometimes my shoes may pinch a little or a
lot or they may even be frumpy when I would prefer fancy high heels. I gave up high heels many years ago. Regardless of what they look like or how they
fit they’re still my shoes. No one’s but
mine.
![]() |
| My work-a-day shoes. Yes they're Crocs. We're looking for comfort here! |
My working girl shoes are a challenge to put on my feet each day. But put them on I must. When I focus on how much they are pinching my
feet I suddenly become so discontented that nothing seems to go right. But that’s not true. And I know that but I’m so focused on those
shoes that I can’t think about anything else.
I forget to be grateful for a job where I can provide for my
family. I forget that they aren’t my
only shoes. I forget that I’m educating
college aged children. I would trade
them in for retirement by the water shoes any day but that’s not happening
today.
OK, enough of the shoe talk.
Am I living a life of gratitude?
Am I thankful for the things in my life both big and small? I am filled to overflowing. But what exactly is overflowing, is it anger,
bitterness, jealousy or is it joy and grace.
If I let the unfavorable things overflow then that affects others and
well misery loves company. Equally if I
bottle up the joy and grace without letting it overflow then it too may become
stagnant and is no longer joy or grace.
Perhaps best of all is to take the unfavorable challenges to Jesus and
let the joy and grace flow.
Perhaps I should take the attention off my own self and focus more on
those around me. How can I extend joy
and grace?
Life is filled with peaks and valleys.
There are times where everything is just going smoothly and you’re on
top of the world. Then there are times
when you’re in the valley and there doesn’t seem to be a way to climb back
up. The valley isn’t a fun place to be
and makes living a life of gratitude a challenge. It may take every bit of strength I have
within me to claw my way out of the valley but it will be worth it. The lessons learned will be strengthen my
resolve.
![]() |
| Ready for the walk at lunch shoes. |
![]() |
| Ah my favorite - flip flops! |



No comments:
Post a Comment