Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Who Is God?

I wonder sometimes.  Am I trying to make God fit into my choices?  Am I trying to change God into who I want him to be?  Am I guilty of wanting God to see things my way?  Do I, much too often, think of God as my Fairy Godfather by presenting him with my wish prayer list?  And oh by the way I want it now. 


God doesn’t change. 

Has society become so self absorbed that we want to make my way God’s way instead of making God’s way my way?  It doesn't take but a few glimpses of the local or national news, or newspaper headlines, links on social media or in whatever capacity you view the condition of the world we live in to see a depressing look at the inhabitants of this magnificent planet on which we live.

If I choose to view the world only through the lens of the media I might lose hope.

But thankfully the lens of the media is not the only way I choose to view my world.  Let me tell you about some 20somethings I happen to know that:

·         Left 2 weeks ago answering God’s call to Holland. 
·         Left last week answering God’s call to Zimbabwe. 
·         Has chosen to devote her career to assisting victims of domestic violence locally. 
·         Spent 6 weeks loving children in an orphanage in Guatemala.

Back to the question – Who is God? 

I’m currently reading the book Encounters With The Living God by Robert Martin Walker.  This book has been sitting/setting (which is correct?) on my bedside table for a while now.  I need to read it for another assignment but in thinking of the question above perhaps as I read each chapter and the scripture reference I’ll write down some things I learn about God in each reading.  Not only is it fascinating to really look at scripture to determine who God is but truthfully it is THE way.  Through scripture, prayer, and seeking I hope to be better able to answer that question.  Oh sure I already have my own ideas of who God is but it’s something I want to study more so that I'm not creating my own idea of who God is but instead see God revealed through scripture.





No comments:

Post a Comment