It was another snow day. Now normally I'm off on Fridays but since I have some appointments on Monday morning I worked today so I could take Monday off. Mistake #1.
I knew the forecast was for snow in the afternnon to be the worst probably around rush hour traffic on the way home. So I decided I would ride the bus today that way GRTC would be driving in the snow. Mistake #2.
The snow started early afternoon. I left the office in time to catch the first bus out of town at 3:45. The buses were few and far between. Standing outside waiting for the bus in the snow is not my idea of a good time. When a bus stops you just want to get on it no matter where it was going. At that point my feet were frozen and the idea of checking into the Omni for the night sounded appealing. I thought about going back to the office but I might miss the bus and would there be another one coming. And could Jay get downtown to pick me up if I missed the bus.
After 45 minutes of waiting we starting taking turns warming up in the lobby of the courthouse. A few would wait while others stayed at the bus stop to be sure the buses didn't pass us by. However when the first bus headed my direction came not only did they not stop but they even went on the left hand lane. I'm sure the bus was filled beyond capacity since we are one of the last stops.
2 hours after going out to the bus stop it finally came. It's usually hot on the buses particularly on the back seat where I was. Not so!
We got to the bus stop and I started my van and cleaned it off. It was a very powdery snow and easy to clean off so that was good. Now I know you need to go slow in the snow but the person ahead of me was going so slow that I wondered if we were going to make it up even the smallest hills. When they finally had turned into their neighborhood and I was able to pick the speed up just a smidge the doors on my van locked. The doors lock at 20 miles per hour so we had not gone over 20 mph for probably several miles.
I got home around 7 still very cold. So it was a 3.25 hour adventure from leaving the office to getting home. And it's probably less than 2 inches of snow. Really?
No comments:
Post a Comment