Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Santa Guilt

Ok I have Santa guilt. 
 


Charlsley is now 15 years old but I can't even remember how many years she asked Santa for a Barbie battery operated car.  It's not that I didn't want her to have one, I did.  It's not that we didn't have space for her to ride it, we do.  It's not that it was too expensive, but it was.  But the main problem was that if she got it that would be all she was getting because it would take her whole Christmas budget to buy it.  And so I didn't get it.  I wish now that I had but I didn't.

I like for my children to have a fairly equal number of gifts and if Charlsley had gotten the Barbie car then what.  I could have gone to the dollar store and gotten her an equal number of packages but hindsight is 20/20. 

And so for that reason I have decided that one day many years from now when she has a little girl I am going to buy my granddaughter a Barbie car.  If I have to start saving now so that I can afford it when she is old enough for it then that is what I must do.

How long does Santa guilt last?

Kathleen also asked Santa for a puppy year after year.  And I don't have Santa guilt over the fact that she never got the puppy for Christmas.  I can't tell you how many dog stuffed animals she got. 

And I always thought I was a good Santa too.  I might have to rethink that.  They did ok.  I don't think Charlsley has suffered any long term irreparable damage from not getting the Barbie car.

I love being Santa for my children.  Even though they are 23, 18 & 15 and surely don't think a man from the North Pole is coming down our chimney and filling their stockings, we still enjoy shopping for them.  It's fun to shop for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment